Welcome

Hey! Welcome to my blog!! I hope you enjoy it and tell your friends about it. I decided I needed a place to vent and to put my thoughts. So I hope you enjoy and remember some things mentioned are mood oriented.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Veterans Day

    In my family there are many veterans. When I say many, I literally mean many. We can trace our ancestry through every war fought in America and probably even those during colonial times.  I have had a relative fight in every battle since the American Revolution and I can't even begin to describe to you what that feels like.  I feel honored to be a part of such a wonderful and honorable lineage.  My grandfathers both fought in WWII and the Korean Conflict, my dad served in Vietnam, my uncle served in the Gulf War and that same uncle was in Iraq in 2003 when the U.S. rushed to Baghdad.  I had another uncle serve in Iraq and then retire at the ripe old age of 60 (if he heard that he'd laugh in my face!).  I also had a cousin who served two tours in Iraq and my very own younger brother served in Iraq (I have to tell you there is nothing more stressful than knowing that your baby brother is in another country fighting in a war and knowing that you could lose him and you can't protect him from the bullets or the things he will see).  So when it comes to Veterans I have a HUGE amount of respect for the job that they have done and the things they have experienced. 
    So on this Veterans Day I'll not only be thinking of the thousands of veterans serving our country today or in the past but I'll also be thinking about those very dear to my heart.  Veterans are a unique breed and have an amount of courage that is not seen in many people.  They are also amoung an elite group (in my opinion) and deserve more than just one day of recognition.  Every day that we have free is a day in which we should thank a Veteran.  Our Veterans are taking what Voltaire said literally..."I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
    On November 11, 2010 when you wake up and I have the freedom to do as you please, thank a Veteran.

No comments:

Post a Comment